About the Authors
- Martin McKee, David Stuckler
- European Centre on Health of Societies in Transition, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
- David Stuckler
- Department of Sociology, Cambridge University, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Sanjay Basu
- Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
- Sanjay Basu
- Division of General Internal Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California, United States of America
MM is chair of the Global Health Advisory Committee of the Open Society Foundations and has served on advisory boards for Merck & Co. (1999–2006), Johnson & Johnson (2006–2009) and a funding panel of the Wellcome Trust. He is chair of WHO's European Advisory Committee on Health Research. He has received research funding from, among others, the Rockefeller Foundation, European Commission, and Wellcome Trust. LSHTM receives funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. All other authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
Analyzed the data: MM. Wrote the first draft of the manuscript: MM. Contributed to the writing of the manuscript: MM DS SB. ICMJE criteria for authorship read and met: MM DS SB. Agree with manuscript results and conclusions: MM DS SB.